Welcome to Exceptional Poker!

If you're reading this, chances are you're struggling to win consistently. Or perhaps you have hit a plateau and don't know how to improve. Don't worry, we've all been there.

Poker is a simple game to learn, but it can be exceedingly difficult to beat consistently. Most players are long-term losers or breakeven. Studies have shown that less than 10% of players turn a consistent profit, while the other 90% fuel the game with their losses.

Do you feel you're stuck in the losing group, that if you just caught some good cards, your luck would turn around? Unfortunately, that's a loser's mentality. Winning players understand everyone gets dealt the same cards over time, but it's what you do with them that makes the difference between profit and loss.

So how do you become a winning player? The answer is not easy, but it is straightforward: you need to approach the game systematically, both on- and off-the-table. You need to not just learn, but hone and master the fundamentals. This includes skills like hand reading, poker math, decision making, and tilt control. You need to identify exploitable tendencies and adapt to changing game situations. And you need to take care of yourself off the felt, spending time on effective game study and pre-game preparation.

My name is Mark Warner. I created this website (and its predecessors) to provide you with the tools and resources you need to become a successful player. I’ve played millions of hands of poker, read essentially every book on the subject, watched thousands of hours of training videos, and coached hundreds of students. Heck, I’ve received hundreds of hours of coaching myself, taken specialized training, and penned a few hundred thousand words on the subject. And along the way, I’ve taken struggling beginners and turned them into profitable players, and helped many intermediate and advanced players learn to crush the game.

I understand that learning poker can be challenging and overwhelming, especially if you're just starting out. But with a systematic approach, you can overcome the frustrating obstacles in the way and achieve success.

So, if you're ready to take your game to the next level, I ask just two things: subscribe to this blog and pay attention. My goal is to provide you with the insights and strategies you need to become an Exceptional Poker player.

Cheers as always! -Mark “PokerBug” W.

Subscribe to Exceptional Poker

Winning Low- & Mid-Stakes Poker


Highly-Experienced, Semi-Retired, Gray-Bearded Engineering Project Manager